deep within the bowels of the bronx
the life and times of ohiosnap




04 May 2006

poor planning

orientation begins on june 19

the housing office will let us know when we can move-in in mid-may

most people don't get to move in before july 1

i called the housing office to ask what i should do, being that i'm from wisconsin and it makes it kind of a long commute to the bronx for those first two weeks.

"stay with friends," (with all my stuff??) she said. "or, you might get lucky"
"all the other interns are in your situation." (that makes it SO MUCH BETTER)


FUUCK

update!

the saga continues: my program will pay up to $99 a day for a hotel room for us to stay in if we can't get a place before orientation. that's nice, but i still don't want to park a loaded u-haul in a hotel parking lot (even in jersey) for almost two weeks. that sounds like an invitation to i-dont-want-to-see-any-of-my-stuff-ever-again. not to mention the continuing costs of renting a u-haul that long.

update! update!

i just noticed that certain u-haul centers give you one month free storage with a one-way truck rental. this looks like my likely option (read: "solution"). this also means that i will be loading and unloading a truck twice as many times as i previously thought. gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh


this educational lesson brought to you by dr. j around 8:28 AM |

« back to the crib | iliotibial band syndrome is forever » //-->





Sorry I have to be the one to tell you this, but get used to it...

Basically, now that you are about to become a doctor, you can look forward to the following sort of exchange:

-Authority figure or circumstances ask something of you that is entirely unreasonable, or made nearly impossible due to other constraints that the very same authority figure has placed on you.

-You ask, how am I possibly expected to accomplish that?

-Response: You're a bright guy. Figure it out.

For instance, just this week I had a 30 hour shift Saturday-Sunday. Then Monday night I had to work over night until Tuesday morning, at which point I had to give a lecture. I had to be back at the hospital Wednesday morning at 6am to work a 12 hour shift. Nevertheless, when I chose to skip an "optional" Journal Club on Tuesdasy night that took place an hour & a half from my apartment, just so I could finally get some sleep, I was considered a total slacker (and later told, "Excuses are like assholes, everybody's got one"). I guess I should have been able to get by on four hours of sleep per day or I should have chosen something else to do with my life.

I dunno, I don't want to bum you out. I'm just trying to tell it like it is. I'm still happy to have the job that I do. I just want to prepare you for the fact that paople will expect super human feats from you over the next few years. You will rise to the occasion & you will be a better doctor for having done it. But occasionally it's going to really suck, and very few people will be able to sympathize with just how hard you do work. But I'll be sure to read your blog so that I can comment & agree; Yeah, that sucks.

So, in closing re: your moving situation -

Yeah, that sucks.

dropped by Anonymous Anonymous on 05 May, 2006 16:09 [*]  

~$$$~

drop some science:

who dis be like
where you from   nerds: <a>, <b>, <i>

 


 © the life and times of ohiosnap 2005 - chopped and screwed by the life and times of ohiosnap, stolen from these guys. powered by these guys.